Friday, May 25, 2018

Mission Accomplished!



After 14 days of travel on the Erie Canal, Lake Erie, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, on the morning of Thursday, May 24 the Emita II was safely delivered to her new  home in Michigan City, Indiana with Harbor County Adventures.



Since I was not there I asked the Captains to share their thoughts with you on this historic journey. Here are two of them.

Captain Steve Wunder:
"Hey Cap, Please blow the whistle one more time. I've known her voice so long and well. Carving a course on the Erie Canal. Hey Cap, throw a wake that would be swell one more time on the Erie Canal. Damn the bridge that won't go up Cap one more time. Tend the lines the way we do , kissing the wall one more time. We are up, we are down Lock gates swing open just for you. In and out with a wave Cap , one more time. Here she comes glidding towards the dock,one more time. Coming and going for so many years, makes me so happy I burst into tears, One Last Time."

Captain Ben Horne:

"The first Wiles I met  was Dan; we were in sixth grade.  I gradually came to know Dan through our association with the school band.  I was aware Dan’s father “Skipper” owned Mid-Lakes golf course.  This was a popular dinner destination with my family.

In 1982 I came to work for Mid-Lakes as captain of the Skaneateles Lake boats.  I was trained by Peter Wiles and came to know Libby, Hattie and Sarah.  Quite frankly this was the best summer job anyone could hope for.  We had a very tight-knit group and had a tremendous amount of fun performing our respective jobs and serving the customers.  It should be noted my sister Margaret worked on the Emita during this time.

Fast forward to 2018.  The Emita has been sold and needs to be moved to Michigan City, Indiana.  I was honored Dan Wiles asked me to participate.  The trip is now over and everyone is headed home.  I thoroughly enjoyed reconnecting with my classmate Dan.  I have met Duane Morton over the years however never shared any conversation.  I enjoyed talking with Duane and getting to know him.  His knowledge and experience were critical in making this move successful.  I had never met Steve Wunder; as a retired NY State tugboat captain his experience was also invaluable on this trip.  Steve’s ability to make the most offbeat comments had us all in stitches.  I am greatly honored to share this experience with these men.

In the tour boat business one does need a good vessel.  That vessel will fail or succeed based on the integrity of those who command and work on her.  The Emita has been successful over the years due to the exceptional integrity of those associated with her.  I am truly grateful for my association with these fine folks I call my friends.

May the Emita II continue the precedent established by Mid-Lakes Navigation and welcome all travelers in her new location."

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisa and crew, for running a great blog for us Emita !! fans. Safe drive home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for brining us along on this journey. I've become an Emita II fan in a short time. I feel sad that she won't be on the canal this year, but happy to know that she'll continue to be a source of fun, knowledge and excitement for the people of Michigan City. Thanks for sharing the Emita II with me and so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great voyage...the "ole girl" still has lots of pep! Best wishes to Harbor County Adventures. We will visit some day!

    ReplyDelete