Thursday, May 10, 2018

Thanks for the Memories...

So it looks like tomorrow (Friday, May 11) we will be able to get back on the Erie Canal on our way to getting the Emita to her new home.  We aren't sure how far we will get, but we will be closer than today!  In the meantime we've been touched by how many people have reached out personally or through Facebook to say how much the Emita has meant to them over the past 44 years. It might be sappy or sentimental, but I wanted to share a few. 

Bob Stopper is an Erie Canal Ambassador and Boat Greeter at the Lock in Lyons, N.Y.  You may recall on our Day 1 trip I posted a picture from Lyons and talked briefly about Bob.  Because we were given early passage for part of the way, we slipped through Lyons without Bob knowing.  What we didn't know was he had already made signs to honor the Emita on her way.  Bob drove out to the Marina where she's docked to say goodbye and leave this.  Thanks, Bob!

Another visitor to the Marina to see the Emita was Colleen Nickerson.  Colleen is a very close friend of Captain Dan's and worked on the Emita on-and-off for 20+ years.  They had many adventures together!  With Colleen's permission this was her Facebook post and some of her pictures of the Emita.
"I spent an hour alone today with my ole friend of 38 years. Most likely it's the last time I will be aboard. The Emita II has enriched my life beyond what I can express here. She took me places I'd not known. She introduced me to hundreds of thousands of people. She helped me grow up, focus and take on responsibilities. She gave me life long friends and more fun times than I can count. Seeing her move on is emotional for me but I'm happy that she is going to a new place where she will offer such wealth to others! I love her with all my heart!  Bon voyage ole friend!  A Huge Heartfelt thank you to the Wiles family for allowing me to take part in her journey and yours!"

Lots of memories! We are excited for the Emita's new adventures, but I hope the folks in Michigan City realize what a treasure they are getting!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could get up to the marina to wish you all bon voyage. I’ll be following this blog as you go. I just had a short experience with the Emita II but it gave me a lot of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at how much she (and Dan of course!) have taught you in the last 6 years!

      Delete